I asked Tyler Williams to come up with a list of essential films for theologians. Here's what Tyler says:Ben asked me to contribute an entry on film to his “Essential Lists for Theologians” series. I was honoured to be asked and have spent some time formulating my list. I submit it with some trepidation, knowing that I have omitted a number of significant religious films—especially older classics that many such lists include (see, for instance, the Faith & Art Top 100 list here).
I have tried to be representative of different film genres and have included some “art house” and foreign films as well as films that are more popular fare. I wasn't too concerned with a film's box office success, though there are some successful films in my list. And, of course, I readily admit to including some of my personal favourites.
That's enough caveats—drumroll please.... My “Top Ten Essential Films for Theologians” (in alphabetical order) are:
For a more detailed discussion of the films on this list, please see the extended post on my Codex Blogspot; and see also the alternative lists at Anduril.ca, Pontifications, Connexions, and The Confessing Reader.


No comments:
Post a Comment